Re: [Xen-devel] ASMedia ASM1083/1085 rev3 and Xen DMA Failure

[+cc Konrad, xen-devel]

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 04:43:46PM -0400, Aaron Opfer wrote:
> First time submitting the kernel dev list, so if I have demonstrated
> gross incompetence in some way, please cut me some slack. :)
>
> I discussed with Clemens Ladisch an issue I was having that I thought
> was related to the driver he authored for my soundcard, but on his
> suggestion I experimented with other PCI devices and we have narrowed
> the issue to the PCI Bridge.
>
> What hints me toward DMA handling being the fault is the following
> message I receive during kernel initialization after rebooting from an
> Xen hypervisor into a baremetal-kernel, without a power-cycle:
>
> [0.012815] dmar: DRHD: handling fault status reg 3
> [0.012868] dmar: DMAR:[DMA Read] Request device [07:00.0] fault addr 7e00000
> [0.012868] DMAR:[fault reason 02] Present bit in context entry is clear

Presumably 07:00.0 is your soundcard, and apparently it did a DMA
read to 0x7e00000, which wasn't mapped by the IOMMU.

> In addition to other hints, such as simple IO like changing the active
> port on the soundcard worked (I could hear the relays clicking) but
> not the functions that DMA would be used (streaming audio).
>
> The PCI devices in my system are connected via this device, as listed by
> lspci:
>
> 06:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI
> Bridge (rev 03)
>
> This PCI bridge works under bare-metal Linux normally (w/ various
> debian kernels stable/unstable/testing/backports), but under Xen
> Hypervisor the PCI devices connected exhibit bad behavior.

So it fails with Xen but works otherwise?  I assume there are other
PCI devices, too?  Do they work?

If you want to open a report at http://bugzilla.kernel.org, that would
be a handy place to attach a complete dmesg log and "lspci -vv" output
for more details.