Re: [Xen-devel] wrong io/tpmif.h made it into upstream Linux

>>> On 26.09.13 at 18:25, Daniel De Graaf <dgdegra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No kernel currently has both drivers (since upstream never had v1),
> so this isn't a problem yet. The backend will bail if the frontend
> doesn't set its own feature-protocol-v2 node, so an old v1 frontend
> won't end up trying to talk to a v2 backend.

Okay, that's at least some level of protection. But would this also
allow both drivers getting loaded simultaneously, and the right one
getting connected?

> I agree that having a single kernel support both v1 and v2 will end
> up being a bit cumbersome. I think it was considered to be unlikely
> for a single kernel to want to support both, but I don't recall the
> details of that discussion.

That must have happened without consideration to our forward
ported kernels. However much I would like to stop having to use
that model, there's still way too many things we have but
upstream doesn't (the good news is - 3.12 allows two more items
to be crossed off from that list of things), and my limited time
doesn't allow me to maintain more than the hypervisor and one
kind of kernel. Of course this is a resourcing problem internally
here, not something I'm trying to call others to be guilty of.

Jan