Re: [Xen-devel] wrong io/tpmif.h made it into upstream Linux

On 09/26/2013 11:02 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 26.09.13 at 16:53, Daniel De Graaf <dgdegra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 09/26/2013 10:17 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 26.09.13 at 13:52, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
in the course of reviewing the hypervisor side of this (i.e. the
canonical copy of the header) I had requested some renames,
and they had also been carried out there. Why did this not get
adjusted _before_ hitting Linus'es tree? It's particularly strange
because this can't be because different people were doing one
side and the other...

This was a mistake on my part. When these changes were made, the header
for Linux had already been split off in order to remove unnecessary
typedefs and extra structure definitions in the Xen header. The v4 patch
for Linux was just based on the v3 Linux patch, and the patch for Xen
making these changes (which you wrote and I just Acked) didn't mention
needing to make a parallel change the Linux patch, so I never made the
changes.

To me it goes without saying that if the master copy changes,
clones should take care to propagate them properly.

Right; this was an oversight, I was just explaining how it happened.
Since it was just a name change, it is also less important than if
it was an actual ABI change.

Additionally using xen:vtpm as module alias collides with the v1
implementation too afaict. Was avoiding conflicts with the old
interface also not being considered here at all? Afaict the
backend also would need to announce itself differently from
the v1 one to xenbus...

The feature-protcol-v2 node was created to allow distinguishing the new
interface from the old one. Naming the xenbus node "vtpm2" was
considered for a while, but I believe it was considered unnecessary with
the introduction of that node.

It should be possible for the the driver to choose which shared page
format to use based on the feature node, if a driver supporting both
protocols were needed.

But that leaves out the existing (non-upstream) v1 drivers that
won't know to look for that new node. A protocol change should
never claim to be the same version protocol as its predecessor.

Jan

No kernel currently has both drivers (since upstream never had v1),
so this isn't a problem yet. The backend will bail if the frontend
doesn't set its own feature-protocol-v2 node, so an old v1 frontend
won't end up trying to talk to a v2 backend.

I agree that having a single kernel support both v1 and v2 will end
up being a bit cumbersome. I think it was considered to be unlikely
for a single kernel to want to support both, but I don't recall the
details of that discussion.

--
Daniel De Graaf
National Security Agency