Re: [Xen-devel] Questions about PVH in Xen 4.3 unstable

Hello all,

I have a few question about PVH guests on Xen 4.3 unstable.

Actually I am running 4.2.1 with Linux 3.7.4 with Debian Squeeze as Dom0. For the HVM guests I am using ioemu stubdoms. When I understood PVH correctly it implements that what actually is done with PV drivers on HVM guests as a aggregated and seperate guest type.

So is it already possible to use PVH in 4.3 unstable for Dom0 and DomU? And does PVHs can get use of stubdoms?

it sounds like you may be confusing "PVHVM" and "PVH".  No surprise, as it is unfortunately very confusing. :-)  Have you read the blog posts on the subject?

http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2012/10/23/the-paravirtualization-spectrum-part-1-the-ends-of-the-spectrum/
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2012/10/31/the-paravirtualization-spectrum-part-2-from-poles-to-a-spectrum/

PVHVM guests, from Xen's perspective, are just HVM guests that know how to use many of the PV features.  So PVHVM guests need qemu, and thus can use stubdoms.  This mode has been available for several years now.

PVH guests are PV guests that know how to use some HVM features.  So PVH guests will not need qemu, and thus not need stubdoms.  The patches for these have not been checked in yet, and so are not available even in 4.3-unstable.

 -George