Re: [Xen-devel] Proposed new "memory capacity claim" hypercall/feature

> From: Ian Campbell [mailto:ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx]
> Subject: Re: Proposed new "memory capacity claim" hypercall/feature

Hi Ian --

> On Mon, 2012-11-05 at 14:54 +0000, Dan Magenheimer wrote:

I'm not ignoring it at all.  One only needs to choose a machine and
be prepared that the machine will (immediately) answer "sorry, won't fit".
It's not necessary to choose the _optimal_ fit, only a probable one.
Since failure is immediate, trying more than one machine (which should
happen only rarely) is not particularly problematic, though I completely
agree that trying _all_ of them might be.

The existing OracleVM Manager already chooses domain launch candidates
and load balancing candidates based on sampled CPU/SAN/LAN data, which
is always stale but still sufficient as a rough estimate of the best
machine to choose.

Beyond that, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the details and,
even if I were, I'm not sure if the details are suitable for a public
forum.  But I can tell you that it has been shipping for over a year
and here's some of what's published... look for DRS and DPM.

http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/virtualization/ovm3-whats-new-459313.pdf

Dan