Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.2.0, VNC connection to Windows domU causes black screen on VNC

2012/10/3 Valtteri Kiviniemi <kiviniemi.valtteri@xxxxxxxxx>

2012/10/3 Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 04:48:33PM +0300, Valtteri Kiviniemi wrote:
>    2012/10/3 Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <[1]konrad@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
>      On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Valtteri Kiviniemi
>      <[2]kiviniemi.valtteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>      > Hi,
>      >
>      > Tested with realvnc and tightvnc. Realvnc just closes itself when the
>      > resolution changes and tightvnc just stays open with the black screen.
>      >
>
>      Lets first see if this is a problem with Windows 2008 expecting
>      certain registers in the VGA
>      emulation and falling flat on its face.
>
>      If you launch (with the same guest config - but obviously replace the
>      ISO), with an
>      Fedora or Ubuntu LiveCD - does it boot? Do you see the VNC screen
>      changing resolution
>      and all that?
>
>    Hi,
>
>    Same problem with Fedora-17-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso. I after the
>    resolution changed the screen goes black. If I change stdvga to 1 I will
>    see a bit further but then the VNC client crashes and says something about
>    unsupported features (dont know even if it should work).

Did you try xvnc4viewer? or normal vncviewer? or virt-viewer?
I usually use virt-viewer without problems..

-- Pasi

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 in my desktop-computer, so I have not tested any other vnc clients than ultravnc or tightvnc. I can of course test others too if there is windows binary available.

- Valtteri

Hi,

Good news, I got it working. It seems that for some reason the encoding has to be RAW and stdvga has to be enabled. This is strange since this same config and setup is working on different hardware. But now I'm able to see the VNC output.

- Valtteri