Re: [Xen-devel] Driver domains and hotplug scripts, redux

2012/1/16 Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roger Pau Monnà writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Driver domains and hotplug scripts,
> redux"):
>> 2012/1/12 Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> > Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Driver domains and hotplug scripts,
>> > redux"):
>> >
>> > That's (iii). ÂWe want a way to do (ii) as well.
>>
>> From my point of view, (iii) should only happen after (i) or (ii) has
>> failed (timeout or error trying to unplug devices).
>
> There has to be a user option to ask for a "very forceful" detach.

Let's map current shutdown options to your points:

xl shutdown -> (i)
xl destroy -> (ii) or (iii) if timeout happens while trying to unplug devices.
xl destroy -f -> (iii)?

I guess adding a -f to destroy is easy and it should work as you
described in (iii).

>> What should we do with xend? Are we keeping it on 4.2? I'm asking this
>> because the changes I'm introducing disables some udev rules that are
>> needed for xend. The other option is to update xend to talk to
>> xenbackendd also.
>
> I think xend is not going to go away in 4.2, unfortunately.

I see pain.