Re: [Xen-devel] Driver domains and hotplug scripts, redux

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 17:58 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Roger Pau Monnà writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Driver domains and hotplug scripts,
> redux"):
> > 2012/1/12 Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Driver domains and hotplug scripts,
> > > redux"):
> > >
> > > That's (iii).  We want a way to do (ii) as well.
> >
> > From my point of view, (iii) should only happen after (i) or (ii) has
> > failed (timeout or error trying to unplug devices).
>
> There has to be a user option to ask for a "very forceful" detach.
>
> > What should we do with xend? Are we keeping it on 4.2? I'm asking this
> > because the changes I'm introducing disables some udev rules that are
> > needed for xend. The other option is to update xend to talk to
> > xenbackendd also.
>
> I think xend is not going to go away in 4.2, unfortunately.

However xend should not be transition to this new scheme but should
continue to use its existing scripts in the current manner.

There was a conversation last year[0] about how a toolstack could
opt-in/out of the use of the hotplug scripts. We decided that toolstacks
should have to opt into the use of these scripts, by touching a stamp
file.

Although this wasn't implemented yet (unless I missed it) I guess the
same scheme would apply to this work if that sort of thing turns out to
be necessary.

Ian.

[0] http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-06/msg00952.html