Re: [Xen-devel] PV drivers on HVM using Xen 4.1.1

On Thu, 2011-10-27 at 15:16 +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:

> --On 27 October 2011 15:10:45 +0100 Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> >> We will in production use raw block devices, so that's ok. We were
> >> just using files for testing. Is the same restriction there is
> >> Xen3.3, because it works there (possibly for the reason below).
> >
> > The 2.6.18 kernel has blktap.ko and 3.0 does not, which is going to be a
> > big factor. blkback.ko is in both so you should be ok. For testing you
> > could try using loopback like Stefano suggests.
>
> So, with apologies for being dense, what disk line should we be using
> to use blkback.ko? I'm assuming this is faster than the qemu based
> backend? (i.e. what you think xl may fall back to if blktap is not
> available)

I think just "/dev/something,,hda" (or xvda)

The disk syntax is documented in docs/misc/xl-disk-configuration.txt,
all this stuff with phy: and tap:aoi: prefixes is really legacy for
compatibility with xend, with xend you might have used
"phy:/dev/something...." IIRC.