Re: [Xen-devel] Xen document day (Oct 12 or 26)

Yep, xen-tools is awesome. Uses debootstrap/rinse but at the same time it doesn't work that great outside of Debian.
I want to provide PV images that will work on any platform.

On 29 September 2011 21:59, Sander Eikelenboom <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Joseph,

> +1 for Markdown.

> In terms of making Xen more accessible I think it might be a good idea to
> update/cleanup the distro support page.
> http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/DistributionSupport

> I can probably do this.
> Making it simple for people to get started with Xen on a distro they are
> comfortable with is a good step forward.
> I know distro specific guides could turn into a nightmare but I am open to
> writing one for Debian 6 Squeeze, there are also a few that exist already
> for RHEL/CentOS on the wiki.
> This should get easier as more distros update to 3.0+ kernels that support
> PVops out of the box...

> Next would be networking documentation as network-bridge script has been
> deprecated.
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking
> Once again I think alot of the documentation is going to be distro specific
> to be newbie friendly but atleast a simple ip/brctl guide would help.

> IMO knowing where to start and setting up networking were the biggest
> barriers when I was picking up Xen a few years back.

> I am also open to updating the blktap2 pages and README to reflect the new
> tap-ctl userspace utilities and tips on driver development.

> <slightly off-topic but related>

> With jailtime.org(stacklet) now charging for subscription there is nowhere
> to download pre-built clean Xen compatible images free of charge etc.
> I have pvgrub/pygrub capable images of Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS that I am
> considering hosting for free.
> Generally new users are confused on how to build new paravirt VMs, I think
> prebuilt images are suboptimal but a good place to start for beginners.

I have previously used the debian xen-tools package, which installs  Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS, although i don't remember exactly from what source.

> Joseph.

> On 29 September 2011 00:00, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> 26)"):
>> churn

>> the
>> hack

>> where

>> > Any recommendations on what would be a good format to write these
>> "interface"
>> > pages in?
>>
>> For in-line (i.e. in xen/include/public/*.h) docs of APIs I played a
>> little bit with integrating kernel-doc into the Xen build system but it
>> is tied a little too closely to the kernel build infrastructure.
>>
>> Doxygen seems like a plausible alternative with life outside the kernel
>> etc. We actually appear to already have some doxygen stuff for the
>> pytyhon stuff (judging from the Makefile, I've not actually noticed the
>> structured code comments anywhere)
>>
>> For non-inline docs I think we decided that markdown would be a good
>> answer.
>>
>> Ian.

Best regards,
 Sander                            mailto:linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx