[Xen-API] Enquiry on Xen hypercalls

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Thu Yein Win <mthuywin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:09:35 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:09:59 +0000

[Apologies if this post gets top-posted]

Hi everyone,

My name is Thu and I am looking into the security issues in the Xen hypervisor. I am writing to enquire on the nature of Xen hypercalls.

As I go through the Xen source code, I found the different types of Xen hypercalls which can be triggered by the guest VMs (e.g. do_mmu_update, do_grant_table,etc) along with their corresponding hypercall numbers. But when I analysed the Xen trace buffer using Xentrace (with theÂTRC_PV_TRAP mask), I was not able to see these hypercalls being triggered by the Guest VMs.

I found that to be puzzling, as I had expected the guest VMs to make hypercall requests to the underlying Xen hypervisor throughout its lifetime.

With that in mind, I would like to know the circumstances under which a guest VM triggers a hypercall request.

I would be happy if you could provide me with some insights on this, as it will help me a lot in my work.

Thanks a lot in advance and look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Thu