Re: [Xen-API] VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info!!

The installation ISO is Ubuntu 12.04.4 [1] - which I believe has a 3.2
linux kenel, so should be PVOPS enabled?

I'm not sure I'll be able to use 'xe vm-param-set' because Cloudstack
detects the failure to start the instance and seems to delete it.
Instead of vm-param-set, I should be able to reach the same goal if I
try to alter the VM.create XMLRPC commands sent from Cloudstack?

From:
                   <member>
                        <name>HVM_boot_policy</name>
                        <value>BIOS order</value>
                    </member>
                    <member>
                        <name>HVM_boot_params</name>
                        <value>
                            <struct>
                                <member>
                                    <name>order</name>
                                    <value>dc</value>
                                </member>
                            </struct>
                        </value>
                    </member>
                    <member>
                        <name>PV_bootloader</name>
                        <value></value>
                    </member>

                    <member>
                        <name>HVM_boot_policy</name>
                        <value></value>
                    </member>
                    <member>
                        <name>HVM_boot_params</name>
                        <value></value>
                    </member>
                    <member>
                        <name>PV_bootloader</name>
                        <value>pgrub</value>
                    </member>

Many thanks,

Chris

---
[1] http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-12.04.4-server-i386.iso

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Rob Hoes <Rob.Hoes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> OK?  Also, other guest vms are running fine with viridian=true.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> On 4 Apr 2014 00:55, "David Bomba" <turbo124@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, so from my understanding, you can't run a HVM guest with VIRIDIAN set
>> to true.
>>
>> Can you use the xe vm-param-set functionality to switch Viridian to false
>> and try again.
>>

>> On 4 April 2014 10:49, chris snow <chsnow123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> xe vm-param-list output:
>>>
>>>                     name-label ( RW): i-2-19-VM
>>>               name-description ( RW): Template which allows VM
>>> installation from install media
>>>                   user-version ( RW): 1
>>>                  is-a-template ( RW): false
>>>                  is-a-snapshot ( RO): false
>>>                    snapshot-of ( RO): <not in database>
>>>                      snapshots ( RO):
>>>                  snapshot-time ( RO): 19700101T00:00:00Z
>>>                  snapshot-info ( RO):
>>>                         parent ( RO): <not in database>
>>>                       children ( RO):
>>>              is-control-domain ( RO): false
>>>                    power-state ( RO): halted
>>>                  memory-actual ( RO): 0
>>>                  memory-target ( RO): 0
>>>                memory-overhead ( RO): 4194304
>>>              memory-static-max ( RW): 104857600
>>>             memory-dynamic-max ( RW): 104857600
>>>             memory-dynamic-min ( RW): 104857600
>>>              memory-static-min ( RW): 104857600
>>>               suspend-VDI-uuid ( RW): <not in database>
>>>                suspend-SR-uuid ( RW): <not in database>
>>>                   VCPUs-params (MRW): weight: 9; cap: 0
>>>                      VCPUs-max ( RW): 1
>>>               VCPUs-at-startup ( RW): 1
>>>         actions-after-shutdown ( RW): Destroy
>>>           actions-after-reboot ( RW): Restart
>>>            actions-after-crash ( RW): Destroy
>>>                  console-uuids (SRO):
>>>                       platform (MRW): viridian: true; acpi: true;
>>> apic: true; pae: true; nx: false
>>>             allowed-operations (SRO): changing_dynamic_range;
>>> changing_shadow_memory; changing_static_range; make_into_template;
>>> destroy; export; start_on; start; clone; copy; snapshot
>>>             current-operations (SRO):
>>>             blocked-operations (MRW):
>>>            allowed-VBD-devices (SRO): 1; 2; 3
>>>            allowed-VIF-devices (SRO): 0; 1; 2; 3
>>>                 possible-hosts ( RO):
>>>                HVM-boot-policy ( RW): BIOS order
>>>                HVM-boot-params (MRW): order: dc
>>>          HVM-shadow-multiplier ( RW): 1.000
>>>                      PV-kernel ( RW):
>>>                     PV-ramdisk ( RW):
>>>                        PV-args ( RW):
>>>                 PV-legacy-args ( RW):
>>>                  PV-bootloader ( RW):
>>>             PV-bootloader-args ( RW):
>>>            last-boot-CPU-flags ( RO):
>>>               last-boot-record ( RO): ''
>>>                    resident-on ( RO): <not in database>
>>>                       affinity ( RW):
>>> c47d712e-8aa8-fcd6-113e-8546532e5fcc
>>>                   other-config (MRW): mac_seed:
>>> b2088266-d6fd-dfd2-4b5e-84c037d085d6; install-methods: cdrom
>>>                         dom-id ( RO): -1
>>>                recommendations ( RO): <restrictions><restriction
>>> field="memory-static-max" max="137438953472" /><restriction
>>> field="vcpus-max" max="16" /><restriction property="number-of-vbds"

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69