[Xen-API] VM.start_on returns VM_HVM_REQUIRED

I have debian wheezy running xen host inside a virtualbox guest, so
the xen host doesn't have HVM.

I am using a third party application (cloudstack) communicating with
xen using xapi.   I'm trying to create a VM using Ubuntu 12.04
installation ISO [1], but have set the OS type to 'Other (32 bit) so
that xen would not use HVM, but I receive the error VM_HVM_REQUIRED.

I have captured the VM.create request here:
https://gist.github.com/snowch/9957480 and also the VM.start_on
response here: https://gist.github.com/snowch/9957480

I had originally posted this question to the cloudstack mailing list,
but I now think the question is more relevant to this list because it
is actually a question about the xen api.

Question 1:

Is my understanding correct that I should be able to create a VM on a
non HVM Xen host using the Ubuntu install ISO?

Question 2:

If the answer to Q1 is 'yes', is there anything that stands out in the
VM.start request that is telling Xen that the vm must have HVM support
which is then telling xen to fail the request?   It seems that
somewhere in the xapi call stack for VM.start_on, the method
VM.get_HVM_boot_policy is getting called and returning that hvm is
required.

Many thanks!

Chris

---