Re: [Xen-API] Xen-api/Debian 7 - conversion and xs-tools

  • To: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Brian Menges <bmenges@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 13:33:13 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 18 May 2013 20:33:34 +0000

While my point of view is still an opinion nonetheless, what Steven states is
partially accurate. XAPI was written on and for Redhat family systems, but has
been supported for quite some time under Debian family systems as well, much
longer than just Wheezy's release.

Project Kronos was the early phases of what is now XAPI under Wheezy. XAPI was
ported to Wheezy, to my recollection, more than a year ago and has quite the
community surrounding it. This stems from Redhat family of systems abandoning
XEN in favor of KVM. I believe this started around the time of XCP 1.0, and was
being investigated by even myself and a significant community during XCP 0.5
days.

XAPI and the XCP toolstack has been thoroughly tested on Debian and thus has
been committed to Wheezy during release (if it wasn't thoroughly tested, it
wouldn't have made release).

Where the community issues come into play is that the documentation is somewhat
sparse and conflicting due to lots of development. Add in the fact that now XEN
has been moved under the Linux Foundation, documentation is again under fire
and in a state of flux. The XEN team has lots of administrative things to
achieve while at the same time trying to take care of the community and the
project's health. The DEB packages for some of the XAPI projects could probably
use some further development in terms of postinst.sh and preinst.sh scripting
perhaps... but that's development over time.

Regarding conversion tools, Citrix has a XEN convert application which applies
to windows hosts. As others have stated, most modern Linux distributions
support full filesystem copies and the kernel itself will detect XEN and
operate normally. Linux P2V is also another option (which automates a lot of
this). There is no 'input -> output XVA' tool to make it 'easy-in, easy-out'
but with a little time and research you'll manage.

Brian S. Menges
Principal Engineer, DevOps
2 Harrison, Suite 200|San Francisco, CA|94105
D 415.869.7000|F 415.869.7001