Re: [Xen-API] legacy vbds and new vdis

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 03:12:33PM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:

> Tom Wilkie wrote:
> > If you use the new xm which creates stuff via the XenAPI, then a vdi
> > is created.  If you look at tools/python/xen/xm/xenapi_create.py
> > theres code that basically already does this, but in xm.
>
> Right, I have vdis created when xm is using XenAPI.  However xm does not
> use XenAPI by default.
>
> > If you want to put this into xend for the old api, then I think that
> > would be fine, but we're going to deprecate and eventually remove the
> > old SXP based interface.
>
> Hmm...  Don't know if I want to waste time creating a patch that will be
> short-lived.  Are there any reasons not to have xm using XenAPI?  I.e.
> what issues might I encounter if I put the following in xm-config.xml
> and xend-config.sxp respectively?
>
> <xm>
>   <server type='Xen-API'
>           uri='httpu:///var/run/xend/xen-api.sock' />
> </xm>
>
> (xen-api-server ((unix none)))
>
> I have not encountered any issues (yet) running with this configuration,
> but have only used a fraction of available commands.

It didn't get turned on by default simply because it hasn't had enough
testing, so we're not sure that we've got full coverage for all the old
functionality.  The great majority of stuff certainly works, and we'll be
turning it on once the unstable tree opens for business again, so that we can
get it more widely tested.  It will be the default in the next release.

Ewan.