[Xen-API] Xen-API Preview Tree

  • To: Xen-API <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 22:00:13 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 14:23:34 -0700

All,

I have put a tree on Xenbits containing our work-in-progress regarding a
Xend that supports the new Xen-API.  You may pull from this tree using

hg clone http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/xen-api.hg

This tree contains the new lifecycle work (from the patches sent to
xen-devel as an RFC a few months ago), and the major part of the work
required to support the new API and new configuration file format.

Please note that this tree is buggy in places, and doesn't support the
whole API.  We're making it available so that people can see how
development is progressing, and so that the Xen-CIM developers can begin
integration.  This tree hasn't been through the usual quality control
mechanisms, and comes to you as-is, with no guarantees, etc, etc.

That said, it's coming together nicely.  Configuration handling has been
split out from the main body of the code, allowing us to support
multiple configuration formats in the future, and the Xen-API support
has been separated into a new, clean module.  A number of refactorings
and tidy-ups are in this tree too, all part of aiding this development.

The intention is to fixup this work in this tree, get it into a state
where xm-test passes, using the old protocol, and then drop it into
xen-unstable once we're confident that nothing serious is going to
break.  This work will then proceed in the xen-unstable tree, for
release as part of Xen 3.0.4.

Please note that there are a few instances where the old protocol is
currently broken, or has subtly changed in semantics.  The intention for
Xen 3.0.4 is to preserve the existing XML-RPC protocol, and to support
all the existing configuration file formats, so rest assured that if
this tree shows any breakages at the moment, they will be fixed by the
time Xen 3.0.4 is released.  We would appreciate it if you let us know
about any such breakages.

This tree also contains libxen 0.4.3-2, as released on this mailing list
and the Xen-API wiki page.

This tree is just a partial tools/ directory, not a full Xen tree.  To
compile it, you will need to edit tools/python/Makefile, and aim at a
Xen tree.

Many thanks are due to Alastair Tse, who has been responsible for this
development, and will continue to work on the Xen-API support in
particular, and Xen in general, going forward.

Have fun,

Ewan.