Re: [win-pv-devel] Next signed release - support for readonly disks?

> In my experience an NTFS filesystem requires a disk to be read/write
> otherwise it will not function... certainly this is true of a system disk.
> Are you using a different filesystem? TBH I think it's quite reasonable for
> Windows to assume that a non-removable medium calling itself is a disk is
> read/write.

Readonly disks appear to behave as expected for me using Windows
Server 2012 with the GPLPV drivers signed by EJB Digital, tested using
both VFAT and NTFS. In the Disk Management UI, the disk appears as
Read Only where it normally says Online. For some reason, the option
to add a drive letter is not there, but I can mount them using
diskpart. Files can be read but trying to paste a file into the
mounted readonly disk results in an error dialog:
"The disk is write-protected. ... Remove the write-protection or use
another disk."  Try Again / Skip / Cancel

I believe this is achieved by setting the Write Protected flag in the
SCSI parameters in response to the Sense command.
It looks like it is set here in the GPLPV code:
http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/win-pvdrivers/file/2d392ecdd366/xenvbd_common/common_miniport.h#l497

These disks have "EJECTSUPPORTED" and also "SURPRISEREMOVALOK" as
capabilities (In both GPLPV and this project) so I think they are
classified as removable.

> This fix was unintended - and it does seem possible to boot with read-only
> non-boot disks attached. It's not a fully tested setup, and the frontend
> offers no protection against writes to read only disks, so the results are
> undefined
Yeah, my testing shows that writes appear to work, but after
refreshing the disk or folder the written files disappear.

Thanks Paul and Owen, I will either keep using the GPLPV drivers or
look into feasibility of patching in the SCSI level write protection.

Regards,
Chris McClymont