Re: [Xen-users] COM1 on domU

Am 02.11.15 um 13:31 schrieb Ian Campbell:
> On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 15:45 +0100, Wolf Grossi wrote:

>>> AFAICT from grepping the source this has never been implemented in
>>> either
>>> the xend or libxl libvirt backends, sorry.

>>> XML API for those backends to be taught about either.
>>>
>>> I'd suggest asking on the libvirt support lists, someone there might
>>> have
>>> more insight. It possible that some libvirt development may be required
>>> here I'm afraid (libxl already exposes the interfaces needed).
>>>
>>> Alternatively you could use xl instead of libvirt, it's supposed to be
>>> mostly straight replacement for xm.
>>>
>>> Ian.

>> Thanks Ian;
>>
>> After reading
>>
>> http://jfehlig.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/libvirt-support-for-xens-new-libx
>> enlight-toolstack/
>> and
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/201602
>>
>> it appears to me that libvirt might not be ready yet for production use;
> I think that those are a bit behind the times, with recent libvirt and Xen
> I think it is usable in production (e.g. the XenProject OpenStack CI loop
> uses it).
>
> Of course if it happens to lack the one feature you need then that isn't
> much use :-(
>
>> However, I like the virt-manager GUI :-)
>> Is there one worklig with xl?
> Not AFAIK.
>
> IIRC libvirt and xl can coexist, so you may find that after starting the VM
> with xl it appears in the libvirt API and you can do all the usual stuff.
> I've not tried that myself though.
Actually, this is NOT the case for libvirt with the xenlight driver.
libvirt only sees VMs that it created itself, i.e. dom0 and all
xl-created domains are missing. libvirt-xl is stateful, so it won't
notice changes that didn't go through the libvirt api.

Assuming that libvirt would support xl just as it did with xm, I
installed a test system with debian8 and xen4.4 some weeks ago and was
struggling for a while why in h*ll some domains just didn't show up,
together with some other problems (no script support for block devices).
Then I found that jfehlig article, which made stuff clear.

Instead, I wrote a python xld daemon that makes xenstore, the xc api, xl
for creation and migration and some helper functions remotely accessible
via https, problem solved.

Regards,
Andreas