Re: [Xen-users] COM1 on domU

On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 15:45 +0100, Wolf Grossi wrote:
> On 23.10.2015 14:43, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Thu, 2015-10-22 at 12:53 +0200, Wolf Grossi wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I have converted from xm to libvirt-xml using
> > >
> > > virsh domxml-from-native xen-xm DOMAIN > DOMAIN.xml
> > >
> > > Works fine so far, however I did not find a way to configure a
> > > seraial
> > > port for the paravirt domU.
> > > virsh simply ignores the entry in the xm configuration.
> > >
> > > With xm I had the entry
> > >
> > > irq=[4]
> > > ioports=['3f8-3ff']
> > >
> > > and COM1-COM2 was available in dumU.
> > >
> > > How do I configure the above with libvirt/virsh for the appropriate
> > > DOMAIN.xml?
> >
> > AFAICT from grepping the source this has never been implemented in
> > either
> > the xend or libxl libvirt backends, sorry.
> >
> > > From google I'm not even sure if such things are available in the
> > > libvirt
> > XML API for those backends to be taught about either.
> >
> > I'd suggest asking on the libvirt support lists, someone there might
> > have
> > more insight. It possible that some libvirt development may be required
> > here I'm afraid (libxl already exposes the interfaces needed).
> >
> > Alternatively you could use xl instead of libvirt, it's supposed to be
> > mostly straight replacement for xm.
> >
> > Ian.

> Thanks Ian;
>
> After reading
>
> http://jfehlig.wordpress.com/2014/01/05/libvirt-support-for-xens-new-libx
> enlight-toolstack/
> and
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/201602
>
> it appears to me that libvirt might not be ready yet for production use;

I think that those are a bit behind the times, with recent libvirt and Xen
I think it is usable in production (e.g. the XenProject OpenStack CI loop
uses it).

Of course if it happens to lack the one feature you need then that isn't
much use :-(

> However, I like the virt-manager GUI :-)
> Is there one worklig with xl?

Not AFAIK.

IIRC libvirt and xl can coexist, so you may find that after starting the VM
with xl it appears in the libvirt API and you can do all the usual stuff.
I've not tried that myself though.