Re: [Xen-users] PV Guest and USB

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Wolf Grossi <wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 28.07.2015 17:52, Zir Blazer wrote:
>> PVUSB got broken in either Xen 4.4/4.5 if I recall correctly, and supposedly
>> it was intended to be back in 4.6. In the meantime, a viable alternative is
>> using a SPICE client (And setting up the VM accordingly) so you can use USB
>> Redirection.
>>

>> http://xen.1045712.n5.nabble.com/Need-help-trying-to-use-SPICE-USB-Redirection-on-Xen-4-5-td5727045.html

>>> To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> From: wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 16:55:14 +0200
>>> Subject: [Xen-users] PV Guest and USB
>>>
>>> Greetings!
>>>
>>> There are several docs in the net describing how to passthru/attach a
>>> USB device to a PV guest. (e.g.
>>> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough)
>>>
>>> I tried them all but without success.
>>>

>>> I am using openSuse-13.2 with XEN-4.4 and libvirt-1.2.9.
>>>
>>> Does USB support even work in the above constellation?
>>>
>>> Any hints?

> Thanks for your info.
> I checked SPICE and apparently is for HVM guest only, I'm using a PV-guest.
>
> PVUSB is broken since 4.4;
> quote: 'As of Xen 4.4 PVUSB is only supported with xm/xend toolstack.'
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_USB_Passthrough#PVUSB_in_xl.2Flibxl
> ...and xm/xend does not go together with libvirt/xl-tools.

PVUSB for libxl is in active development.  The core functionality is
there, but the challenge is to design the interface such that all the
various kinds of usb (pvusb, emulated with qemu, &c) work together
with a sensible interface.

I'm pretty sure it will make 4.7; but I've been wrong before...

 -George