Re: [Xen-users] DomU bridge network only works in private network

Jintack Lim <jintack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> However, when I connected to a school router,
> then dom0 gets a public ip address that I can access via ssh from anywhere.
> However domU's network is not working.
> More specifically, "dhclient eth0" never returns.
> I'm using a static ip address for dom0,
> and it is assigned automatically by the router since dom0's MAC
> address is registered.
>
> Is there anyway that I can get a public ip address for domU without
> using my own router?

Sounds like the school network has some form of access control and your DomU
isn't registered.

You may have to assign it a static MAC and "sign in" that MAC to the school's
network system.

Or there may be access controls that limit the MACs allowed on a single switch
port - in which case you'll be restricted to one "device" with networking
connected to that port. In that case, you'd need to use NAT (MASQ) to hide all
nut one device behind one IP & MAC - unless you can get the network admin to
lift the restriction.

IN any case, depending on the network admins, it may be worth talking to them
about it. *IF* they are clued up about networking then they may well be able to
tell you what the problem & solution is. On the other hand, they may know
nothing about networking (other than how to manage the admin system on it) and
be completely unable to help. Sadly, I've come across "a few" network admins
who make me wonder how they got the job (how do you become a network admin if
you don't even know the basics of IP addressing) :-/