Re: [Xen-users] GPU passthrough on Xen 4.4.0, FLReset-

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Kuba <kuba.0000@xxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 13:36:29 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 11:37:41 +0000

On 2014-06-06 10:53, Kuba wrote:
Dear Gordan and David

Thank you both for lots of valuable info and clues. It seems some of
my issues might be hardware/BIOS related, so I'm going to look into it
(among other things).

Gordan, I can see you use a ZVOL as your VM's storage, have you ever
tried to run dom0 with root on ZFS?

No, I always have dom0 rootfs on a stable in-kernel FS that is
reasonably unlikely to blow up in my face when I upgrade the
kernel. IMO, rootfs is sufficiently small and easy to back up
and restore that there is no obvious advantage to having it
on ZFS.

There is too much forward/backward incompatibility
to allow for old modules to work with new kernels, which
makes kernel upgrades problematic, and to gain full advantage
of ZFS you need to put /boot on ZFS as well, which means
custom patched grub, and it all adds up to far too much
effort for negligible benefit.

I do use ZFS for everything else, though.

I certainly do agree with all that. Having entire dom0 on ZFS is just a little wish of mine for one main reason - data corruption detection and self-healing. I timidly hope one day some talented folks will make it "just work". Thanks again for your answers!

Best regards,
Kuba