Re: [Xen-users] Difference between primary and secondary VGA pass through

  • To: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Daniel Shub <Daniel.Shub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 11:41:18 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
  • Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 May 2014 10:42:29 +0000

> On 2 May 2014, at 10:10, "Gordan Bobic" <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-05-02 08:08, H. Sieger wrote:
>> Well, I've recently gave KVM a try and saw primary passthrough working
>> in my setup - that was until I installed the AMD driver in Windows
>> after which the guest didn't boot anymore/blue screen .
>>
>> I believe primary passthrough can shorten the boot time of the guest,
>> but other than that I wouldn't break my head over that.
>
> Primary passthrough re-POSTs and initializes the GPU via the BIOS.
> That means you get to see the BIOS POST and OS loading screen on
> the physical rather than emulated GPU. Other than that there is no
> difference.
>
> The reason why primary passthrough was of interest recently was
> because ATI cards/drivers didn't handle rebooting domU gracefully,
> and re-POST-ing the card via the BIOS was a way of getting card
> back into a usable state without be driver choking on it in various
> ways. Now that the slot-level reset is being implemented, it makes
> for a simpler, more generic way to reset the card, which I guess
> takes some of the pressure for the need for primary passthrough
> for ATI cards.
>
> Nvidia binary drivers handle the card initialization gracefully
> (provided the card's device ID is in the expensive
> Quadro/Tesla/Grid white-list - hence why a lot of us have been
> modifying various GeForce cards into equivalent Quadros) whatever
> state it was left in, so this was never an issue for those.
>
> Gordan

Do the open source Linux ATI/Radeon drivers support FLR? When I pass my ATI
card as a secondary device to a Linux DomU I can only get it to work with the
proprietary Catalyst driver.This message and any attachment are intended solely
for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have
received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately
delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in
this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of
Nottingham.

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you
are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the