Re: [Xen-users] Difference between primary and secondary VGA pass through

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 11:50:34 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 01 May 2014 10:51:20 +0000

On 2014-05-01 11:34, Daniel E. Shub wrote:
I posted this question over at
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/123510/differences-between-primary-and-secondary-vga-pass-through-in-virtualization
but didn't get an answer so I
thought I would try here ...

From the wiki I think I understand why passing a VGA adapter through is more difficult than passing a standard PCI device through and to some extent why passing a VGA adapter through as the primary device is more difficult than passing it through as a secondary device. What I m confused about is what are the advantages of passing a VGA adapter through as the primary device as
opposed to the secondary device?

The only advantage of passing the interface as primary (and FWIW I have
never actually seen this work) is that in that case you get to see the
SeaBIOS POST screen and the domU OS boot progress before it loads the GPU
driver. Other than that, I am not aware of any advantage.

Gordan