Re: [Xen-users] AMD cards - VGA passthrough no more possible with newer Xen / kernel releases

  • To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "H. Sieger" <powerhouse.linux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 21:03:04 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 04:07:34 +0000

Good news! I did some testing with Ubuntu 14.04 beta2 and Xen 4.4.

Using xl and qemu-xen, the installation of Windows 7 on the domU went without an issue, so did the AMD driver installation. Trying out passthrough did not work - yellow triangle in Windows device manager with an insufficient resources message.

I changed to qemu-xen-traditional and the Windows guest rebooted without an issue into a passed through desktop. Several reboots later, all looks fine, except the low Windows Aero WEI. Could be that using qemu-xen during Windows installation did something to the Aero performance?

The only two glitches I encountered were:
1. Using Ubuntu Gnome edition, it would detect both graphics cards during installation and set them up for dual screen. Solution: Install only one graphics card (for dom0), install Xen, passthrough the PCI IDs of the second (yet to be installed) card via pciback using the initramfs method, shutdown, install card, reboot.

2. Both xtightvncviewer and vnc4viewer have bugs. The first one doesn't accept empty passwords @*^&$$%%@@@-*. What a pain in the neck! I had to give a 6-8 letter password in the domU.cfg file to make it work.
The vnc4viewer displays a different issue: It sometimes crashes after start. At some point during Windows installation, it would always crash and I had to remove it.
Possible workaround could be installing some xen tools (can't remember the name, but it includes libvirt and some other tools, including a vncviewer - haven't tested it).

Installing the GPLPV drivers improved disk performance according to WEI (from 5.5 to 5.9 for an external USB HDD), network performance and other things are not tested by WEI.

Now let's just hope that no-one messes this up.

I also hope that devs perhaps backport the improvements/bug fixes to earlier Xen 4.3 releases.