Re: [Xen-users] qemu-dm sound card support..

hello,

thank you for the correction, lan.

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM, Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2013-08-13 at 15:55 +0200, nesredin mahmud wrote:
> hello everyone,
>

> I created HVM guest on xen-4.1. Many of the features I want are
> working except the sound system.
>
> I tried available sound driver models (sb16|es1370|ac97,pcspk), no
> luck. Then I taught may be my sound card is not supported by qemu-dm.
> How is it possible to know if my sound card is supported by qemu-dm?

I don't think qemu-dm knows/cares about the physical card in your
system, which can certainly be different to the emulated device exposed
to the guest.
I build the latest qemu with ALSA support which went fine. I issued the command for drivers support:
$ /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-i386 -soundhw ?
Valid sound card names (comma separated):
ac97        Intel 82801AA AC97 Audio
adlib       Yamaha YM3812 (OPL2)
cs4231a     CS4231A
es1370      ENSONIQ AudioPCI ES1370
gus         Gravis Ultrasound GF1
hda         Intel HD Audio
pcspk       PC speaker
sb16        Creative Sound Blaster 16

-soundhw all will enable all of the above

I'm not sure exactly what it takes to enable sound for an HVM guest, I
suggest you start by examining the build logs, in particular the output
of the configure run for qemu-dm. You probably need some libraries
available (perhaps ALSA, or maybe some SDL audio related ones?), the
output of configure will hopefully tell you what is missing.

yes i build qemu like you said with the following configuration settings. And ALSA was emulated instead of the OSS - the default one.

--audio-drv-list=alsa    set audio drivers list:
                           Available drivers: oss alsa sdl esd pa fmod
After building qemu with the new settings, I forced xen to use the new device model with:
device_model_override="/path/to/qemu-system-i386" // am using XM, XL has some problem with me.

then i set "soundhw=?". I am not sure if I am doing right, but I tried with
"soundhw=all" -----> only es1370, ac97 are emulated. and
"soundhw=hda" ------> this is definitely my sound card type; however, $xm create xmtest.cfg could not work because of "hda" keyword. Why xen did not implement  for HDA support?   Or does it make a difference if I use XL instead of XM?
Ian.

 thank you,

Best,

//nas