Re: [Xen-users] Ubuntu 12.10 out of the box with Xen 4.1

On Wed, 2013-08-07 at 00:07 -0400, Russ Pavlicek wrote:
> Well, this is one of the few times I've found that upgrading a
> laptop's BIOS made things seriously worse.  :(
>
> The new BIOS introduces a new problem: it makes Linux think that the
> system is overheating, resulting in the processor moving at a snail's
> pace.  And, to make things even better, once you've upgraded the BIOS,
> you can't downgrade.  Just lovely.

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that :-(

> This problem has prompted folks to come up with patches like this:
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-acpi/msg40108.html
>
> However, I don't know that any form of this patch has made its way
> into the stable tree and onto an actual distribution.

It appears to have hit mainline in February 2012 in linux.git
9bcb8118965a which seems to have been part of v3.4-rc6. So anything
newer than that ought to have it. Even if you are running something
earlier the distro may have picked it up, I can't speak for Ubuntu LTS
but the most recent Ubuntu ought to be new enough.

> So I have a laptop which is sluggish under Windows and useless under Linux.
> Guess
> I need to find a patched kernel somewhere and see what I can do.

You can probably just install the latest Ubuntu kernel even without
upgrading the whole distro. At least I've done that with Debian often...