Re: [Xen-users] SPICE with Upstream QEMU and qxl VGA cause Windows BSOD

On gio, 2013-06-27 at 10:06 +0800, kevin.zhang@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi,

>        These days I installed xen 4.3 unstable from source and
> recompiled qemu upstream  with spice support.
>        After xl create , the windows domU started successfully and
> spice client can visit the VDI. However, it display blue screen
> before entering the windows welcome screen.
>        Is it a bug in current upstream qemu support?

Well, the basics of SPICE/qxl support should all be in Xen 4.3. However,
there is a bug triggered by some, well, emulation issues (it's a SSE
instruction emulation and then communication with qemu, there's a thread
on xen-devel about this).

That's why we have that patch in the tree that jacek is talking about.
In fact, the Xorg qxl driver was triggering right that situation,
leading to a crash.

So, officially, SPICE support is _not_ in 4.3, as that bug was
discovered too late in the release cycle. It's on the agenda already for
4.4, though. :-)

However, since I think we're talking about Windows, aren't we?, if
reverting the patch works for you, that would be a fine path to go, I
guess... Perhaps the Windoes qxl driver does not use the critical SSE
instruction.

Regards,
Dario