Re: [Xen-users] Disk starvation between DomU's

I'm not sure whether this will work. AFAIK actual I/O is performed by
tapdisk/qemu, so could you experiment with that instead? Also, keep in mind
that there is CPU processing in the data path, so have a look at the dom0 CPU
usage when executing the I/O test.

> Additionally, when I do the following on the virtual machine in
> question:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=dummy bs=1M
>
> I hardly see any disk activity on the Dom0 with iostat. I see the
> blkback popping up occasionally with a few kb/s, but I would expect
> tens of MB's per second. The file 'dummy' is several GB's big in a
> short while, so it does write.
>
> Why don't I see the traffic popping up in iostat on the Dom0?

This is inexplicable. Either you've found a bug, or there's something wrong in
the I/O test. Could you post more details? (E.g. total I/O performed, domU
memory size, dom0 memory size, average CPU usage, etc.)

What's the array's I/O scheduler? I think since it's a RAID controller the
"suggested" value is NOOP. If your backend is tapdisk, then CFQ *might* do the
trick since each domU is served by a different tapdisk process (it may be the
same with qemu).