[Xen-users] Hiding PCI devices with modprobe.d

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Daniel Shub <Daniel.Shub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:25:01 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:27:31 +0000

I am running Xen 4.2 with the XL toolstack on Arch Linux. I have a set of PCI devices that I am trying to hide. From the command line I can hide the devices with

    # xl pci-assignable-add 01:00.0

    # xl pci-assignable-add 01:00.1

    # xl pci-assignable-add 02:00.0

    # xl pci-assignable-add 03:00.0

and confirm they are hidden with

    # xl pci-assignable-list

I wanted to automate this so I created a file called /etc/modprobe.d/pcihide.conf and included

    options xen-pciback hide=(01:00.0)(01.00.1)(02:00.0)(03:00.0)

When I reboot only some of the devices are hidden. Looking in dmesg and xl dmesg I can see entries for the devices that are successfully hidden, but no obvious entries for the devices that are not hidden. If I remove the /etc/modprobe.d/pcihide.conf file and reboot, no devices are hidden, so the file is getting loaded and I am able to hide some devices with this method.

I am unable to hide a built in SATA controller, two built in USB 2.0 controllers, two built in USB 3.0 controllers, and an add on SATA card with the modprobe.d file. I am able to hide two add on video cards(with HDMI audio) and a TV tuner card with the modprobe.d file. I can hide all the devices with xl pci-assignable-add.

Is using a  modprobe.d file the right way to hide PCI devices on boot? If so, I know this isn’t a lot to work with, but where should I be looking for information about what is going wrong?

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.