Re: [Xen-users] Identifying graphics cards for passthrough

On 2013-04-15 13:09, Paul Stimpson wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>>> I am already passing other PCI devices through to the guest
>>> successfully. Say for example 00:06:00.0.
>>>
>>> How do I write this for the conf file please. I tried things like:
>>>
>>>      gfx_passthru=1
>>>      pci=['0000:04:00.0','0000:04:00.1','0000:06:00.0']
>> # 0 is secondary passthrough; 1 is primary passthrough
>> gfx_passthru=0
>> # without the 0000: (not sure if it is a problem though)
>> pci=['04:00.0','04:00.1','06:00.0']
>
> I tried this (I put the other card in /etc/modprobe.d/pciback.conf to
> hide it) but Xen says the card is not assignable. When I run the
> machine up, there is what looks like Linux boot logging on the second
> monitor that stays there after the machine comes up.
>
> I'm obviously doing something wrong but, right now, I'm not sure what
> it is.

I'm not sure about using modprobe.d for this... modprobe would rely on
the device being unbound before it would work. The boot line method
works because nothing is bound before the boot. But modprobe would need
an unbind too, not just a list of devices.

What I use is this script I wrote (which is simple to use, because you
don't need to edit your boot lines, or rebuild your kernel):
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Bind_lib.bash

As it says on the top of that page, xl has this functionality built in.
I wrote that for xm.