Re: [Xen-users] Identifying graphics cards for passthrough

Hi Peter,

Thank you.

On 09/04/13 22:11, Peter Maloney wrote:
On 04/09/2013 08:49 PM, Paul Stimpson wrote:
Hi,

I have an HP workstation here with two identical AMD V5900 graphics
cards in it. I'm finding it really challenging following the
instructions to get VGA passthrough working. Thanks for the help
you've given me so far. The host OS is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit with
the XFCE desktop.

Is that a firepro?
This page mentions the FirePro V5700, which I guess means it works with
secondary passthrough.
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_VGA_Passthrough_Tested_Adapters#ATI.2FAMD_display_adapters

Sorry. My mistake. it is a Firepro v5700. I was talking to HP about the v5900 as they are dropping the v5700 and wanted us to consider it as an alternative.

The Xen install has a Windows guest and I want to pass one of the
cards through to it. The cards each appear as two devices (a graphics
card and an associated sound card that provides the HDMI audio out).
So I have:

     * 00:04:00.0 - Graphics card
     * 00:04:00.1 - Audio device
     * 00:05:00.0 - Graphics card
     * 00:05:00.1 - Audio device

I swapped which device was primary in the BIOS as it made the layout
of the wiring on the back panel more logical.

My first stupid question is: How do I work out which card is the
primary and secondary to know which one to pass into the guest please?

Not sure... there's probably some X command that should tell you which
one is the one used by X. Otherwise, you can just try unbinding the
driver for one and see :) (if the screen goes black, you picked the one
dom0 is using)

I looked in Xorg.0.log and it it has a * next to the 04:00.0 card and it's listed as card0 so I think it's probably that one.

I think I need to use gfx_passthru=1

I am already passing other PCI devices through to the guest
successfully. Say for example 00:06:00.0.

How do I write this for the conf file please. I tried things like:

     gfx_passthru=1
     pci=['0000:04:00.0','0000:04:00.1','0000:06:00.0']
# 0 is secondary passthrough; 1 is primary passthrough
gfx_passthru=0
# without the 0000: (not sure if it is a problem though)
pci=['04:00.0','04:00.1','06:00.0']

I tried this (I put the other card in /etc/modprobe.d/pciback.conf to hide it) but Xen says the card is not assignable. When I run the machine up, there is what looks like Linux boot logging on the second monitor that stays there after the machine comes up.

I'm obviously doing something wrong but, right now, I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks,
Paul.