Re: [Xen-users] Xen on a MacBook Pro? The ultimate developer setup?

"Jason T. Slack-Moehrle" <slackmoehrle@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:
>I write code, C++ and I am not in a position where I need to run
>Windows,
>Linux and OS X, various versions.
>
>I have read about Xen-hypervisor before.
>
>My questions:
>1. How is the compatibility on a macBook Pro? I can get a live-cd and
>try
>this out.

You can test/use Xen even on x86 (Intel) Mac Book Pro (i have a MBP6.1) but not "under" Mac OSX.

I have a "dual boot" between Mac OSX and xen with Linux Dom0.

If you want to get Mac OSX running as a PV DomU or even Dom0 under xen you might ask Apple if they integrate xen PV into their OS (this should be theoretically possible as the OS comes from NetBSD in many parts and NetBSD offers Xen DomU and Dom0.

This would offer you a full performance Mac OSX with full performance guests Ã)

But i assume that Apple won't doing that att Ã)

Virtualizing Mac OSX could be done under VirtualBox with slightly patching i've tried some years ago.

>2. With VM's running, would I just use them on the MacBook Pro like I
>normally would (like you can a VMWare virtual machine)?

Not shure what you mean.

>3. What about closing the lib and going home? Is there suspend on the
>hypervisor? Would I need to suspend each VM, then close the lid or is
>that
>really not supported.

It should be possible afaik - i.e. with additional scripts shutting down or saving the running DomUs before suspend in the hibernate process of your Dom0.

>4. Can one extend Xen so that I could scp into the hypervisor and
>backup
>the vm's if I needed to?
No,
you can ssh/scp into your dom0 - the xen HV does not offer such high level networking stuff as this is the job of the Dom0.

I recommend to read into the first steps of the xen docs to understand the concept of xen.

hth
cheers,

Niels.

--