Re: [Xen-users] newbie in trouble with CentOS Xen

Quoting Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk@xxxxxxxxxx>:

El 05/04/13 10:13, Greg Woods escribió:
On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 10:05 -0600, Alexandre Kouznetsov wrote:

It seems like, Dom0's IP connectivity is not done directly via the
actual device. Instead it creates a vif0.2 and maps it as eth2 to Dom0,
as it would do with any other Dom.
Seems much cleaner than the setup I described before, as "old ways",
when a eth was renamed to peth and a bridge called eth was created.

We're getting a bit away from the original topic,
The original topic is still discussed on another branch of this thread (:

We've got the ethX devices
which are the physical device, same as any non-Xen system,
No. While Dom0 is booted, it's virtualized. See all that vif0.X, they are interfaces exported to a Domain with ID 0.

and the
xenbrX devices, which are the actual bridges.
Right, they communicate the backend vif's with the physical network.

The pethX devices don't
seem to serve any real purpose. I would hazard a guess that the pethX
devices aren't really needed at all, and are just there for historical
compatibility.

Yes they do serve a purpose. ethX devices you see in your Dom0 (note, this seems to be CentOS specific Xen stuff) are not real network interfaces. They are virtualized, just like any other network interface in any other DomU. They are backed by a corresponding vif0.X device. Just as in case of DomU, vif0.X devices are bridged together with a physical interface within Dom0. That is where pethX comes into play, it links the bridge to the physical network. Also, it's used to interact with the physical card, for MTU, error correction settings, WOL, firmware, etc.

So the topology is like this:

-----------
 Dom0 eth0
-----------

 Xen PV VIF

-----------
   vif0.0

  xenbr0

   peth0
-----------

physical port

Greetings.

--
Alexandre Kouznetsov

Alexandre,

I don' know if I can send an attachment to this list, but I'll see if one comes through, also pasted in below. A diagram of the original "supposed to be like this" setup.

Dave

      LAN0                                                  LAN1
       |                                                     |
 +-----+-----------------------------------------------------+-----+
 |     |                                                     |     |
 | +---+-------------------------+ +-------------------------+---+ |
 | |   |                         | |                         |   | |
 | | peth0            xenbr0     | |      xenbr1           peth1 | |
 | |                             | |                             | |
 | | vif0.0       vif1.0  vif1.1 | |  vif2.0  vif2.1      vif0.1 | |
 | |   |            |       |    | |    |       |            |   | |
 | +---+------------+-------+----+ +----+-------+------------+---+ |
 |     |            |       |           |       |            |     |
 |     |     +------+-------+-----------+-------+------+     |     |
 |     |     |      |       |           |       |      |     |     |
 |     |     | +----+-------+----+ +----+-------+----+ |     |     |
 |     |     | |    |       |    | |    |       |    | |     |     |
 |   eth0    | |  eth0    eth1   | |  eth0    eth1   | |   eth1    |
 |  www ssh  | | www ssh ftp pop | | www ssh ftp pop | |  ftp pop  |
 |  Domain0  | |     Domain1     | |     Domain2     | |  Domain0  |

The problem with being cynical is you can't keep up!

-- anon. philosopher