[Xen-users] Issues with Adding RBD Block Devices

I'm having some problems in Xen trying to create a new block script for rbd
devices (Ceph RBD) and using those devices in domUs.  I've attached the
block-rbd script that I've created and placed in /etc/xen/scripts.  Basically,
this should allow me to specify the following in my config file:
disk = [ 'rbd:image-name,hda,w' ]

...where image-name is the name of an rbd image.  The script uses Ceph's "rbd"
command to map the image to a device (/dev/rbdN where N is a number) and then
feeds that to the xenstore commands necessary for accessing the device.
Everything seems to work fine - script runs, devices are mapped, and xenstore
gets updated - but I cannot see the disk in my HVM domU.  The only clue as to
what might be wrong is the following entry in my
/var/log/xen/qemu-dm-<domU>.log file:

qemu: type (image format) 'rbd' unknown for vbd
'/local/domain/0/backend/vbd/29/768/mode' or image 'image-name'

There are a couple of puzzling things about this.  First, the domU is getting
passed a block device in the form of /dev/rbd1, which it should be able to
access, so why does it care from the type/image format is?  The block device is
no different than a phy: device with a physical HDD or an LVM volume, and,
while the setting for "type" is rbd, I don't know why that would impact it.
Second, why is it referencing the "mode" node of the xenstore tree for that
backend device.  That really doesn't make any sense - the vbd should be one
level above that, and the mode is definitely set to "w" for read-write
(verified with with xenstore-ls).

Has anyone else used Ceph RBD to back Xen-based VMs?  Or has anyone else
successfully added another type of block device to Xen with a script?  Any
hints on where to go from here?

Thanks - Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.