Re: [Xen-users] Virtualizing primary desktop

I have been running Ubuntu 12.04LTS Desktop as dom0 for some time without any issues.
It's quite seamless experience! This is only possible if you know how to compile kernel with
xen dom0/domU options. Plenty of links/docs exists on Xen wiki, so do go through those
first before venturing. It took me a few trials to get it right, so back up the things and be
prepared for some rough time :-)
In a nutshell -
1. during kernel compile start with 'make localmodconfig' to have all the currently used modules in.
2. do 'make menuconfig' and carefully go through all options and select appropriate to your system
3. if in doubt (especially with block/file system drivers), include the modules as built into kernel
4. after that ensure .config file has correct xen config directives for dom0

If your intention is only to virtualize desktop and you do not necessarily care about the virualization
technology per se - i.e. Xen vs KVM etc, then my suggestion would be to use KVM virtualization, especially
if your processor supports VT-x extensions. KVM is very straightforward to install and configure through
GUI tools and you will save yourself quite a bit of pain. Also KVM supports unmodified guest OS installation
just like you would do by popping a downloaded iso CD in the CD drive (virtual cd drive in case of KVM)

But if your intention is to learn and experiment with Xen then by all means! Welcome aboard ;-)

- Vijay