Re: [Xen-users] Using Ipv4 and IPv6 Subnet

Am 06.02.2013 13:00, schrieb Simon Hobson:
Thore wrote:
I have a problem/question for understanding.
I have on my server (debian wheezy) 3 virtual systems running on xen
with own IPv4 addresses.
Form my hoster I got an IPv6 subnet, but I don't really know how to add it.
Is it enought to add an address of it in the /etc/network/interfaces of
the virtual systems?
Or must I set up routing for Xen and how does it works together with
bridging?
Which settings I had to change?
And am I able to set up an system only with Ipv6?
(I have IPv6)

These are mostly not really Xen questions, more a general networking issue.

The first question is, how does the hoster present your networking ? And how is
your Xen networking set up ?

If (for example) your hoster presents you an ethernet cable, with your own IP
range and a gateway address for their router; and you are using bridging on
Xen; then it will simply be a case of configuring an IPv6 address on each box.
Configuring IPv6 can be done several ways, and that depends on how the routers are
configured. At it's simplest, the router(s) will advertise themselves and your devices
can self-assign an address - auto configuration which should "just work". For
hosting, you probably want to manually configure IPv6 addresses so they are fixed.
I have a xenbr0

auto xenbr0
iface xenbr0 inet static
 address  1.2.3.4
 netmask 255.255.255.255
 gateway  2.3.4.5
 bridge_ports eth0

Like this is my bridge configuration.

Some time before I set this in my /etc/network/interfaces
#iface eth0 inet6 static
#  address 2a01:4f8:140:1:2
#  netmask 64
#  gateway fe80::1