[Xen-users] Virtual web servers losing connection to virtual database servers

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Chris Moseley <Chris.Moseley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:30:33 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:12:51 +0000

Apologies if I’ve posted this to the wrong list or anything.

We host websites on virtual servers over Xen. Over the last few weeks we have experienced several service outages with our web servers losing connection to the database servers at seemingly random intervals (can happen in the middle of the night, or during peak hours). connectivity between the servers is restored immediately if we RD on to the web server, browse to the DB server in windows explorer (via its local network IP) and then enter authentication details in access prompt.

The web servers are all Windows, the DB servers are both Windows (MSSQL) and Linux (MySQl).

The errors that the sites produce during the problem are either:

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

Or

"System.InvalidOperationException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached."

Could anyone offer any advice on this or point me in a particular direction? Thanks.

Chris Moseley