Re: [Xen-users] Recursive Virtualization

Hallo everybody,

is it possible to migrate another VM (like LXC, OpenVZ, QEmu, KVM, VirtualBox, VMware or Xen itself,) on Xen. I would be very greatful, if you could share your experiences with me. I've never worked with Xen yet, but I'm really interested in it.

Thank you guys very much.
Nico

I think you mean nested virtualization? Am I right? That means running a hypersivor in a virtual machine.
AFAIK, this is almost impossible on a para-virtualized Xen virtual machine.(Maybe qemu or bochs could work, I am  not sure).
On a Xen HVM, most  of these hypervisors could work, but without hardware assitted virtualization technology, so KVM is excluded. For example, if you run a Xen hypervisor in a Xen HVM, the hypersivor only supports para-virtualized virtual machine.
VMware can fully support this feature as I have been tested. I heard Xen 4.2 is going to support it too. KVM on AMD also support this.
The performance of nested virtualization is really a problem. And it is also hard to use the most-recent hardware virtualization technology for nested virtualization.  Our team is now using nested virtualization on VMware Workstation just because we don't have enough physical machines. I am also new to Xen and would like to hear the optinions from Xen experts.

Best Regards,
Xinli