Re: [Xen-users] Best way to differentiate between virtual servers and non-virtual servers

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Tait Clarridge <tait@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 10:19:04 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 16 May 2012 14:20:06 +0000

On Tue, 2012-05-15 at 13:02 -0400, jinho hwang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> First of all, virtual machines are not controllable. Users will
> install our software voluntarily.
>
> Simple software has a network connectivity and functions that might
> help to figure out whether it is a virtual machine or not.

Although I think that your idea is quite confusing, you could always
check out MAC addresses (unless someone is not using the standard or
default ranges) that may help you differentiate between
physical/virtual.

In terms of your project, you might want to consider that if you have a
person who is logging into a server and performing upgrades/reboots and
has no idea that it could be running multiple virtual machines... that
person shouldn't be logging into that server to begin with.

Tait