Re: [Xen-users] Best way to differentiate between virtual servers and non-virtual servers

Well i am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but this is an interesting question which i don't fully follow.

So, you have your own server running an operating system as Dom0, on it is running a Xen Hypervisor that is hosting one ore more guest OS? You than have remote clients that connect to the server and you are asking how could each client determine if they are connecting to a virtual server OR if they are connecting to a non-virtual server?

I guess to me it is confusing since if you have more than one server that are managed by you, you know exactly what is virtual and what is not SO you can pass that information onto your clients... :)

3) by installing a simple software, I can communicate with the software via a network connection. In this case, I do not want users to set up their virtualization environment because there should be a mistake during installation, which will bring a lot of troubles in the future. I want to make the automatic diagnosis.
What simple software would you install and where would you install it to?

Hi Xen users,

I am recently trying to figure out how to know which server is virtualized. I only have a network connectivity which means that my clients are all in remote locations. My server to control all the clients should know which one is virtual machine and which one is not. I want to approach in different ways:

1) without any software installation, I may have to characterize the virtual machines by watching network features or behavior. But, I assume that every hypervisor should have different features and behaviors.
2) by watching network connectivity (address), if I can traceroute the client computer, I may be able to figure out whether it is virtualized or not because the traffic usually goes through the hypervisor (not only xen, but all other hypervisors.. I need to confirm this).
3) by installing a simple software, I can communicate with the software via a network connection. In this case, I do not want users to set up their virtualization environment because there should be a mistake during installation, which will bring a lot of troubles in the future. I want to make the automatic diagnosis.
4) user configuration: this is the worst approach as I mentioned in 2)

Please, give out your brilliant ideas on this problem.

Thank you,

Jinho