Re: [Xen-users] HVM performance issues

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:07 PM, Ray Barnes <tical.net@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to troubleshoot some performance issues I'm getting with
> HVM under Xen 4.1.2 (FC16 packages) - I'm seeing these issues in
> Windows and Ubuntu.  Disk IO is slow (15 MB/sec) when using the
> "normal way" of disk = ['phy:whatever'].  I understand by googling
> that the conventional way to resolve this is to export a pvscsi device
> to the domU,

err... no. Why would you think that?
IIRC pvscsi is different from normal pv block device, suitable for
some things (e.g. tape backup, DVD writer). To get better performance
you only need pv block device.

> though I'm guessing I'd need PV drivers in the HVM domU
> first?

exatcly.

> Further, on Windows I'm thinking that might create a problem
> if I up and "move" the system disk from the conventional qemu IDE
> controller to SCSI.

Nope. in the case of pv block device, pv driver installer will handle
it automatically, so it's mostly click-next-reboot.

--
Fajar