Re: [Xen-users] Where does PyGrub run?

On 24 April 2012 17:37, Luke S. Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 05:44:19PM +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> >
> > pvgrub, on the other hand, runs completely on domU. So some might say
> > pvgrub is "safer" than pygrub.
>
> Pvgrub is pretty great if the DomUs are operated by people that don't
> have root on the dom0.  With pvgrub, it's pretty easy to set things
> up so that the person that controls the DomU can never mess up the
> DomU to the point that they can't boot[1], something that requires
> a xm config file edit otherwise.
>
> The big downside to pvgrub is that it wants a ext2/3 filesystem and
> a grub1 format menu.lst file.
>

> [1]http://wiki.prgmr.com/mediawiki/index.php/Chapter_7:_Hosting_Untrusted_Users_Under_Xen:_Lessons_from_the_Trenches#PV-GRUB:_A_SAFER_ALTERNATIVE_TO_PYGRUB.3F

Thanks Luke. I've been reading the link, and now I have 2 questions.

1- if pygrub needs to mount the domU, why does it says this?
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/PyGrub

"This means that reading the guest filesystem does not require
mounting the filesystem"

2- What and where is the rescue image?

"which then means that unlike my PyGRUB setup, users can never mess up
their menu.lst to the point where they can’t get into their rescue
image."

Sorry to bother you guys, but I am trying to put it all together in my
head.......