[Xen-users] Where does PyGrub run?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: eva <evammg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:29:23 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:31:02 +0000

Hello,

I am still confused: does pyGrub run in dom0 as root? as it says in here:

"PyGRUB used to act as a “PV bootloader”: it runs in dom0 as root,
opens the PV disk image, reads its GRUB menu.lst, presents a GRUB-like
menu to let the user choose a kernel which it copies to the dom0
filesystem, it then closes the disk image and eventually tells the
domain builder to use that copy.  Such a dom0 root process that parses
user-provided data is a potential security breach."
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2008/08/28/xen-33-feature-pv-grub/

or does it run in domU? as it says in here:

"PyGrub enables you to start Linux domUs with a kernel inside the DomU
instead of a kernel that lies in the filesystem of the dom0."
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/PyGrub

Isn't those definitions contradictories? Am I misunderstanding something?

Regards,

Eva