Re: [Xen-users] Backup a DomU

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Niels Dettenbach <nd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 12:11:25 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:13:20 +0000

Am Donnerstag, 12. April 2012, 11:43:13 schrieb Stefan Becker:
> I copy the disk, swap and cfg files.... What do you mean with full system?
If you just pause a VM you did not have any dates from the memory. Firing a
sysrq s did do a "sync" to the discs but as the filesystems are not cleanly
umounted, filehandles are closed and processes are hung up your system could
not understand as "completely consistent". You just "hope" that everything
it's on his place when you copy it...

Depending from the load of your system and the time between sysrq s and vm
pause disk content would be differ more or less too.

I do not know the book but from my understanding this is a ugly hack which may
work - but not a real solution...

In such cases it may much more sense to use any simple but working backup
utility like dump / restore. Handling with MySQL databases requires to use
something like mysqldump or cleanly shutting down MySQL as MySQL uses it's own
technologies for caching and buffering beside the OS ones...

hth
best regards,

Niels.

--