[Xen-users] domU shell prompt freezes after live migration

We are running xen 4.0 on Debian Squeeze in a two-node cluster. We are creating and running Ubuntu (lucid) vms. I have not had trouble with live migration of vms in the past, but on this installation I experience the following problem.

When I create a vm I can log into it normally. That is, when I receive a prompt, I can type a command at the prompt, hit return and the command will execute, or if no command is given, the prompt is regenerated on the following line. I can migrate the vm from node to node without a problem.

However, on the current installation, after the vm is migrated the first time, the shell, or prompt accessing the vm malfunctions by freezing up. When I log into the migrated vm, I do not receive a prompt. If, then I hit return, I receive the ubuntu server greeting, and then receive a prompt. But this prompt is frozen. Attempts to hit return do not produce a new prompt on a following line, and it is not possible to execute any commands. When I destroy the terminal window and repeat the process, the same thing happens.

Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

I include configuration data below (which we have always used successfully heretofore).

And also I notice that xm top (which shows the vbd_rd and vbd_wr (virtual block device read and write request) information for the vm is 0 after migration is performed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ben Weaver

/etc/inittab [as specified in the Xen installation instructions]:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 hvc0
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
# NO getty on ttyS0!

/etc/xend/xend-config.sxp:

(xend-relocation-server yes)
(xend-relocation-port 8002)
(xend-relocation-address '')
(xend-relocation-hosts-allow '')

xm top  output on vm after migration:

... vbd_rd = 0 vbd_wr = 0 (prior to migration xm top shows non-zero values for vbd_rd and vbd_wr).