Re: [Xen-users] Need Virtualization Support in laptop

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 6:23 PM, Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 16 October 2011 14:46, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I am having a Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop. This does not have
>>> virtualization support.I want  Virtualization Technology support in
>>> this laptop.

Do you mean VT-x (the x86 cpu virtualization) or VT-d (I/O MMU)?

If it's VT-x, usually I'd say don't bother. Just use virtualbox that
can use software virtualization with decent performance, and you'd be
able to run most 32bit guest OS.

If it's VT-d, then your best is to change the CPU. IMHO there's not
much use for it for laptops though.

>>> What should I do
>>> 1) should I  get motherboard replaced
>>> 2) or should I get processor replaced.
>> The substitution of the processor is sufficient.

I don't think Dell supports replacing your laptop CPU. It might be
better to just sell it and get a new one. AFAIK most laptop CPU don't
support VT-d (even i5-based usually have 2410M, which doesn't have
it). If you REALLY need VT-d, your best bet might be getting i7 CPU.

--
Fajar