RE: [Xen-users] Private Networks between domUs on multiple hosts

  • To: "Joe" <cycloned@xxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:41:48 -0400
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:43:18 -0700

Xen networking isn't so bad once you understand Linux networking
(bridging).  I like to short-circuit network-script with something like:

(network-script /bin/true)

in xend-config.sxp so I can configure bridges and interfaces on my own.

> I understand this could be achieved with vlans and whilst I've used
these before
> outside of Xen, I'm unsure of how to do so within xen's networking
system. I'm sure
> my query isn't uncommon and so was hoping that someone would know of
an easier
> way in which what I want can be achieved using pure Xen functionality.

On CentOS, I'll paste a few configs that should be enough to get you
started.

In the domU config:

vif = [
        'mac=00:16:3E:5E:A2:5C,bridge=public,
        'mac=00:16:3E:77:64:14,bridge=private'
      ]

(In this example the domU has two interfaces, eth0 is routed to the
public internet, eth1 private amongst domU's.)

In the bridge config:

# cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

# cat ifcfg-private
DEVICE=private
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes

In the VLAN config:

# cat ifcfg-eth1
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes

# cat ifcfg-eth1.2001
DEVICE=eth1.2001
BRIDGE=private

Each domU can talk to the other domU's over eth1, and the dom0's bridge
this traffic over VLAN # 2001.  The private bridge does not have an IP
address, so the dom0 is not reachable from the private network--it only
bridges traffic.

-Jeff