[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [PATCH] arm/nospec: Make nospec helpers always_inline


  • To: "Orzel, Michal" <michal.orzel@xxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Alejandro Vallejo" <alejandro.garciavallejo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2026 14:40:19 +0200
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=amd.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=amd.com; dkim=pass header.d=amd.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector10001; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=bmh3QbpAof4Mqz4sBwWiSL+74rmVYal5ceFU8kCv9SQ=; b=yRDay9qKvIOn+T7s+pgM20x9Se9XXk5vrjyWuNwjkhEZIY2rWJR8BtFAyoBNH2ifLvUBt1Rs7aYQY6F0w4udHhinJP5P8oGI169RJK0oWxsQ4cpyYls2iZszd2a2adIcUIWrHsOaO7sohprTY3/gV65RlFRWe/0tPYX3bbcxk1mUiW/3NCE719rY3w5yz/DgS7WdCS3yofgt+7xjuYgOdPzqyWjhlQLOCYTHSWMwlLYqi+6lLqwvOad/2NKYQpl63AykdLneGj+/DV89tm7exG13/vZ1x3ED+cUo61wwnl6RxApEp74BeBkiIg1I6aTLbcLdi4PviOnfwrwUtzEv+w==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector10001; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=te5tjDTC11RLqkQjQTzPZjTXXzPOioZFK1+H2wMAoXoIQC234cVm9YfIFDgsuZcUdQU14EFRHdr1o9sJ/IWaOCgZR1lLCkIesRa1LMoYCYha/wpSbOvZB/IgQ4CZ4G/tAI/deVO65VH9cQsPiS9tpOczM2kb9IyQ5PE8BhGaY5V6L52j99q6s2N6fdSl5fuwPbBZ40UBakPvWEMQbclRCxKmAqX/TbfKr+TERDbUTF83Nt8qZdZeGSatEJ3+x6n//IwXB0upehYevHGGjJ/VLywnlDCYNr+VaGcYOkvSJg8UsFXswy0wJ7VYQdiUIgYB2I5d3AU8E4+jySeZSZ13tQ==
  • Authentication-results: eu.smtp.expurgate.cloud; dkim=pass header.s=selector1 header.d=amd.com header.i="@amd.com" header.h="From:Date:Subject:Message-Id:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck"
  • Authentication-results: mx.microsoft.com 1; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;dmarc=none action=none header.from=amd.com;
  • Cc: "Stefano Stabellini" <sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Julien Grall" <julien@xxxxxxx>, "Bertrand Marquis" <bertrand.marquis@xxxxxxx>, "Volodymyr Babchuk" <Volodymyr_Babchuk@xxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Oct 2026 12:40:32 +0000
  • List-id: Xen developer discussion <xen-devel.lists.xenproject.org>

On Wed Oct 7, 2026 at 2:00 PM CEST, Orzel, Michal wrote:
>
>
> On 06-Oct-26 14:29, Alejandro Vallejo wrote:
> > On Tue Oct 6, 2026 at 12:45 PM CEST, Orzel, Michal wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >> On 06-Oct-26 12:31, Alejandro Vallejo wrote:
> >>> While today they don't implement fencing in a way that would block
> >>> speculation, once/if they do they'll absolutely need to be inlined, even
> >>> if -fno-inline or -fno-early-inlining are passed.
> >>>
> >>> Signed-off-by: Alejandro Vallejo <alejandro.garciavallejo@xxxxxxx>
> >> Reviewed-by: Michal Orzel <michal.orzel@xxxxxxx>
> >>
> >> but this should be done for Arm, RISCV and PPC at once in which case you 
> >> can
> >> keep my tag for v2 # for Arm.
> > 
> > Neither RISCV nor PPC implement nospec.h today. Should I considered the
> > R-by just settled for this patch?
> I'm not sure I understand. You wrote that they don't implement the header
> whereas I can see:
> arch/riscv/include/asm/nospec.h
> arch/ppc/include/asm/nospec.h
> hence my remark to fix all at once.

Bah, I was on a completely different baseline than I should've been.
Even v1 doesn't apply cleanly.

Let me prep a proper v2 then.

Cheers,
Alejandro

>
> ~Michal




 


Rackspace

Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.