|
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] Re: [PATCH] xen-blkfront: Fix IO race during unplug
On Tue, Oct 06, 2026 at 02:58:06PM +0100, Ross Lagerwall wrote:
> During unplug, blkfront stops the hw queues and marks the disk as dead,
> then later during removal calls del_gendisk(). However, IO issued after
> the hw queues are stopped but before the call to del_gendisk() will be
> queued but never handled. This causes del_gendisk() to hang forever
> waiting for the queue refcount to drop to zero.
>
> This can be reproduced by issuing IO during an artificial delay after
> stopping the hw queues.
So the window is between the blk_mq_stop_hw_queues() and
blk_mark_disk_dead() calls where requests would be queued and never
processed?
> Fix this by simply not stopping the hw queues directly. Marking the disk
> as dead also freezes the queue which prevents new requests being added
> and it synchronously runs the hw queues to clear anything pending.
I think this likely needs expanding a bit: the disk is already marked
as dead with the current logic, and in the same place in the code.
> Fixes: 8e141f9eb803 ("block: drain file system I/O on del_gendisk")
> Cc: stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Assisted-by: LLM
> Signed-off-by: Ross Lagerwall <ross.lagerwall@xxxxxxxxxx>
> ---
>
> I'm not sure about the Fixes tag. It's the most likely looking candidate
> to me but I didn't confirm whether it actually introduced the
> regression.
I was wondering the same, and even then someone might argue this was a
latent bug in blkfront itself, and the reference commit just exposed
it. I don't have a strong opinion.
>
> drivers/block/xen-blkfront.c | 4 +---
> 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 3 deletions(-)
>
> diff --git a/drivers/block/xen-blkfront.c b/drivers/block/xen-blkfront.c
> index 8dad7bf5f664..69a2315a1b20 100644
> --- a/drivers/block/xen-blkfront.c
> +++ b/drivers/block/xen-blkfront.c
> @@ -2138,10 +2138,8 @@ static void blkfront_closing(struct blkfront_info
> *info)
> return;
>
> /* No more blkif_request(). */
> - if (info->rq && info->gd) {
> - blk_mq_stop_hw_queues(info->rq);
> + if (info->gd)
> blk_mark_disk_dead(info->gd);
So blk_mark_disk_dead() behaves differently when called with the
queues still active?
Thanks, Roger.
|
![]() |
Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our |